< Go back

Our adventures

Japanese Gardens on the 12th April’12

After another beautiful morning on Koh Tao, we loaded up the boat and made the journey out to Japanese Gardens where we would spend the afternoon. After dropping off a few divers just outside the bay to make the swim into the bay, we picked a buoyline and moored up. For the first dive I would be following Kasey and her instructor on the first dive of her Open Water Diver course. The conditions inside the bay where lovely as always at this dive site, with no waves at all and nice visibility.


After getting over her initial nerves, Kasey jumped in and we made our way over to the shallower water nearer the beach where we could drop down and get comfortable with breathing underwater before heading out onto the reef itself. As it was the first dive of the course, there where no skills to complete and we were free to spend the whole dive exploring the coral reef and all its wonders. Along the way we came across the resident school of juvenile barracuda, a couple of fancy orange flatworms as well as a whole array of brightly coloured reef fish and critters.


After a nice long dive, it was soon time to return to the boat and enjoy a nice long surface interval in the sun, and after about an hour it was time to jump back in for our second dive of the afternoon. For this I would be following Paula and Christian from Chile on the second dive of their Open Water Diver course with their instructor. We swapped our tanks over, put on our equipment and jumped in to complete the dive. We all descended onto the seabed below the boat and knelt down to perform a few skills required for the dive before we could head off and enjoy the rest of the dive.









With the skills completed we headed round to the north end of the bay and around the corner to see what we could find. Along the way we came across a few huge titan triggerfish, some more of the beautiful flatworms and nudibranchs and a couple of pufferfish. Paula and Christian enjoyed the dive, looking like true professionals after just 2 dives but it was soon time to end the dive and climb back on board as the air in our tanks was running low. Once back on board we packed away our equipment and made the journey back to the shop where we could fill in our log books and paperwork, wash our equipment and look through all of the photos from the day.


(Don’t forget to sign up to the RSS feed, (the orange button on the right underneath the Facebook link)  to keep up to date or you can bookmark the Daily Diving Page to check out the conditions in the underwater world here on Koh Tao!)

If you enjoyed this page, don’t forget to LIKE it just beneath!

If you were out on this trip, leave us a comment and tell us your favorite part of the days diving.

Leave a reply

Chat on whatsapp